What you need to know

The process of buying a property can seem daunting, especially if you have no prior experience or knowledge on it. To help you understand the process better and how to be ready for it, we’ve created this guide for you to break it down in to a few manageable steps. 

Start preparing

Making the decision that you’re going to start house-hunting is exciting and you may be tempted to jump online and start searching for properties! 

However, we advise that you speak with a mortgage broker or lender to ascertain your financial position. This will help you narrow down properties to a specific price range.

We also recommend shopping around for solicitors and getting some quotes. This will massively help later on once you’ve found a property and will avoid delays to your purchase.

Need recommendations?

We’ve partnered with L & C, the UK’s largest fee-free mortgage broker. With a referral from Lyss Homes, you’ll automatically benefit from FREE Home Buyers Protection Insurance. This covers you for costs you’ve incurred (such as valuation fees) in case your offer falls through. 

We also have a panel of solicitors that we can recommend to you if you need a recommendation. These recommendations are based on previous positive experiences our past clients have had with them. 

Are you also selling a property?

If so, we highly recommend putting your property on the market as soon as possible.

You need to present yourself as someone who is in a strong position in order to make any offers you make attractive to the seller.

If your property is in London, we can help! Get the ball rolling by booking a valuation with us via the button below.

Start searching and arranging viewings!

Potentially the most exciting part of the journey! Take a look online and see which properties you find the most appealing and book in-person viewings. 

Top tip: most properties you’ll view will have furniture or fixtures that are not to your taste. It’s best to imagine each property as a blank canvas and try to imagine how you would make use of the space. 

Making an offer

Once you’ve found the perfect property, it’s time to submit an offer! 

It’s always advisable you do this in writing to avoid any misunderstandings.

Be prepared for negotiations, particularly if you are offering less than the asking price!

If the property you’re offering on is one of ours, get in touch with us and we'll send you our offer form to complete. 

Offer accepted (woohoo)!

Congratulations on your offer acceptance! You’re truly on the way to becoming the owner of a new home!

There are now two things you need to do:
  • Formally instruct your solicitor and provide their details to the agent 
  • Contact your mortgage broker/lender and complete your application. Forward their details to your agent too


At this point, a ‘memorandum of sale’ is sent to both your solicitor and the seller’s solicitor by the agent. 

This will trigger the conveyancing process. Both solicitors will raise and answer enquiries and once all parties are satisfied, dates can be set for exchange and completion!

At exchange, you’ll be required to pay 10% of the purchase price, and the remaining 90% will be paid at completion. 


Congratulations on your purchase!

Now that you’re the owner, you can start planning on how to make your new property a home!

This website uses cookies. We use cookies to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic.
You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website. Read our cookie policy. I understand